Almost everyone I know has New Year’s resolutions. Before she had her daughter, in fact, my friend Lyndsay, used to have a series of them which she grouped by category and then deadline. If you know Lyndsay, believe me, this makes sense.
In fact, this blog was the product of a 2011 New Year’s resolution, before The Leone Company even existed, when Heather Whaling at prtini.com let me know that, like, Nike, I should “Just do it!” and get blogging already!
And so, more than a week into the new year, I’m laying mine out there. Hold me accountable, please:
- Always put my dishes in the dishwasher before going to bed. (Dad, you’d be ashamed at the piles that we woke up to some mornings!)
- Take my vitamins every night. (Yes, sometimes I count chewable Airborne tablets as my vitamins for the day.)
- Always work with clients and projects that make me happy. (Check out that rockstar list of The Leone Company’s clients here.)
- Keep a daily, running “To Do” list that, each day, must have items that have been crossed off.
The clients? This is more to keep me on track. I’ve been fortunate to work with a number of wonderful clients through The Leone Company this year, ranging from fundraising to community outreach to marketing projects. Even contracts that have ended did so on a high note, and something I pride myself on. Going into the new year, I always want to keep a focus on this.
The “To Do” list? It’s working out well! Each day, I start out with a freshly printed list (on the reverse side of previously used paper, of course!). A clean list makes me feel like I’m not bringing yesterday’s baggage into the next morning. Each list has four categories:
- To Do: The Leone Company. (Remember my post about Dedicating Time For Company Growth? Those are the items on this list. Updating my website. Working on potential new clients. Blogging. )
- To Do: Insert “Client Name” here. Each client has their own list. This gathers all of the social media notes, random thoughts I had in the shower, phone calls to return and tasks that require an action item in one place.
- To Do: Errands. Taking client packages to the post office. Picking up dry cleaning. And yes, even returning two lampshades to Lowe’s because, well, why not just buy three and decide on your favorite at home? (Don’t judge me. Or my dishes. Or the fact that I have the vitamin habits of a five-year-old.)
- To Do: Personal. You know what goes in this list. Really, just send your cousins’ holiday gifts already!
After trying apps and other electronic options, I’ve found a hard copy of the list just makes me happier. But I’m always up for new things!
What are your resolutions this year? Send me a note, a tweet at @marashorr or leave a comment below!
This week, I’m a guest blogger at i.seekissimmee.com, the website for the Kissimmee Convention and Visitors’ Bureau. Check it out!